Do you want to learn to paint with Acrylics but don’t know where to start? There’s a lot to take in but once you get to grips with the painting basics you can just get on and create masterpieces.
I’ve compiled a reference list of posts and free acrylic painting tutorials below, so you can easily find what you are looking for.
If you prefer to learn from watching video demonstrations, here are a collection of over 6+ hours of free acrylic painting lessons I’ve created.
With over 7 million views on Youtube, students have created some fantastic results.
- Getting Started: Facing a blank canvas – How to feel the fear & paint it anyway
- Getting Started: Choosing a Painting Surface for Acrylics – Getting your Absorbency Right – Understanding paint film & diluting acrylics with water – the pros and cons
- Getting Started: How a prepared Canvas can drastically improve your painting – An Old Master technique to rapidly improve your paintings
- Getting Started: A quick way to understand brushes + video – Overview of Acrylic brushes & video on brushes I use for a simple landscape
- Getting Started: What are Different Types of Paints made from? – Same pigment, different binder
- Getting Started: Do you need a Bespoke Canvas? – ‘Off the Peg’ or Bespoke?
- Getting Started: Throw away your small brushes – How to avoid one of the number 1 beginner mistakes
- How to apply a coloured ground with acrylic paint + video – Video demonstration on how to apply a coloured ground
- How to clean an Acrylic paintbrush + video – Video demonstration on how to properly clean your acrylic brushes
- How to set out an acrylic paint palette + video – How I lay out a stay-wet palette
- How to prime a canvas using Gesso for Acrylic painting – Overview of do you need to use Gesso?
- How to Light your Art Studio (how to avoid being kept in the dark) – Unravelling the mysteries of choosing lights for your studio to give you the perfect environment to create under.
- How to choose the best background colour for your studio walls & why does it matter? – From studio wall colour to coloured ground
- How do you approach lighting a portrait painting? – The differences between natural & artificial light
- How to apply a varnish to an Acrylic Painting – Want to make your Acrylics look like Oils? Varnish is the way to go.
- How to shoot stunning still life set ups for your paintings – Part 1 of 3 – Using and working with a DSLR camera for great results
- How to create great still life compositions – Part 2 of 3 – Are you 1cm away from the perfect composition?
- How to paint glass & reflections with acrylics – Part 3 of 3 – A step-by-step acrylic painting of a glass of water
- A Beginners Guide to Light & Shadow : Part 1 – Understanding how light logic works for effective three-dimensional drawings
- How to shade a drawing – Light & Shadow : Part 2 – Looking at the theory of drawing a simple form focusing on shadow, light and edges.
- How to paint light & shade in Acrylics – Light & Shadow : Part 3 & Videos – Creating the illusion of form using an Apple with acrylic paint
Colour Mixing & Understanding Pigments
- The 5 key differences between Acrylics & Oil paints – a beginners guide – Are Acrylics or Oils your natural medium?
- The 8 key differences between Artist quality vs Student grade acrylic paints – is using cheaper paint holding you back as an artist?
- Choosing a basic colour palette for acrylic painting – 5 key colours that will help you understand colour mixing
- Choosing a paint starter set for beginners – (without making an expensive mistake)
- How to choose the perfect white for your Acrylic painting – Choosing the ‘right’ white for the type of painting you’re creating
- Colour Mixing Basics with Acrylic paint + video – How to match a colour with a step by step approach
- Is green ruining your acrylic paintings? + video – How to mix the perfect green with a surprising colour choice!
- Are these 3 black paint myths holding you back? – Don’t use black? How your art teachers had it all wrong
- How to mix pink & purple paint with acrylics + video – How to mix your perfect pink using a selection of different reds
- The hidden hues of colour mixing + video – Mixing muddy colours? You might just be using the wrong pigment
- The 3 tricks of complementary colours you can learn from Van Gogh – Understanding the colour wheel to create optical colour mixing
- How your hairdresser can teach you to mix colour – How hue, value & saturation are the 3 keys to perfect colour mixing
- How to balance warm and cool colours + video – How artists have used colour theory throughout history
- How to Paint Acrylic Portraits – Developing a method that gets consistently natural skin tones
- Golden Heavy body vs Open acrylics paints review – Which is best?
Acrylic Painting Techniques
- Glossary of Acrylic paint terms – The Ultimate guide for beginners
- A beginners guide to colour strings (and how to paint quicker) – How to use Classical techniques to speed up your acrylic painting.
- How to use acrylic gels & mediums + video – Unlock the mystery of mediums and give your paintings a professional finish
- How to paint over an Acrylic painting – What if it all goes wrong! Should you start again or rescue your work?
- How a Few Small Changes Influenced my Portrait Painting Style – When fate takes a hand and your direction shifts
Inspiration, Travels & Art History
- The 3 Steps to Becoming a Better Painter, by Painting Less – Inspiration for the overwhelmed ‘don’t know where to start painter’
- On painting, procrastination and what might have been – Keeping yourself on the sideline as a viewer? It doesn’t have to be this way
- How to instantly add depth to your mountains in acrylic landscapes – Learn how Da Vinci used science to create depth in his paintings.
- Landscape Sketching in the Highlands – On location sketching in Scotland looking for shapes, spaces and differences between lights and darks.
- Painting, Pasties & Padstow – A Cornish Painting trip
- The Importance of Contrast in Drawing & Painting – How tone & value are one of the most important lessons to learn when painting
- How to paint, sleep (and nearly die) like Cézanne – An adventure in Provence with a visit to Cézanne’s studio
- Inside Rembrandt’s Studio – A close look at the history and oil painting techniques used by Rembrandt, and a look at the lighting used in his studio in Amsterdam.
- Singer Sargent & Friends – An exhibition review of the oil portrait paintings of John Singer Sargent and his influences.
- Tate, Turner & Unlikely Partnerships – A look at the history and development of Turner’s style and influences.
- Discovering Velázquez, The Duke & Unexpected Treasures – A discovery of a hidden Velazquez painting that was right under my nose!
Varnishing & Isolation Coat
- 3 Reasons why artists varnish their work (and why some artists don’t)
- Adding an Isolation Coat to an Acrylic Painting
- How to Apply a Varnish to an Acrylic Painting
Free Acrylic Painting Video Tutorials
Still Life Tutorials
- Beginners Acrylic Cherry Still Life Course – Part 1 (video)
- Beginners Acrylic Cherry Still Life Course – Part 2 (video)
- Beginners Acrylic Cherry Still Life Course – Part 3 & 4 (video)
Click here to see students success stories with the Cherry tutorial.
- Jug Still Life Course with warm and cool colours – Part 1 (video)
- Jug Still Life Course with warm and cool colours – Part 2 (video)
- Jug Still Life Course with warm and cool colours – Part 3 (video)
- Monet style Impressionist Acrylic – Part 4 (video)
- Monet style Impressionist Acrylic – Part 3 (video)
- Monet style Impressionist Acrylic – Part 2 (video)
- Monet style Impressionist Acrylic – Part 1 (video)
- Acrylic Palette Knife Painting Techniques – Part 1 (video)
- Acrylic Palette Knife Painting Techniques – Part 2 (video)
- Acrylic Palette Knife Painting Techniques – Part 3 (video)
- Acrylic Palette Knife Painting Techniques – Part 4 (video)
- French Cafe Scene with Acrylics – Part 1 & 2 (video)
- French Cafe Scene with Acrylics – Part 3 (video)
- French Cafe Scene with Acrylics – Part 4 (video)
- French Cafe Scene with Acrylics – Part 5 (video)
For more in-depth tutorials and step-by-step lessons have a look at the Acrylic Painting online Courses below:
- How to Paint with Acrylics Beginners Course– 4 hours of step-by-step video tutorial using classical techniques with acrylics, designed for absolute beginners. The best place to start to give you an in-depth introduction to the variety of techniques and methods used with acrylic painting.
- Beginners Acrylic Colour Mixing Course – Discover a simple colour mixing method that works to fully understand the power of your paint pigments. Work through a progressive series of colour mixing lessons and demonstrations using acrylic paint.
Acrylic Impressionistic Course – 1 1/2 hours introduction to acrylic painting using an Impressionistic style. Work with two colours to develop a looser paint handling style in your work. Simple tips to improve your paintings.
- Masterclass Acrylic Still Life Course – Develop your glazing techniques and use of colour in this Classical masterclass painting course. Using techniques from the Old Masters, using acrylics instead of oils you’ll learn the power of glazes to create compelling realist still life paintings.
- Colour Portrait with Acrylics – Over 4 hrs of tutorials including 3 different step-by-step portrait demonstrations. The course teaches how to achieve natural, realistic looking skin tones with acrylics using classical portrait painting techniques.