Free how to paint with acrylic paint videos
Free online acrylic painting techniques
You can discover over 5 + hours of free acrylic painting videos ranging from the secrets of colour mixing to choosing the perfect brush.
I teach classical painting techniques with acrylics so you can learn how to paint and the best place to start is with one of the free how to paint video courses below.
With over 5 million views on Youtube, students have achieved some fantastic results!
Acrylic Still Life Painting of a Cherry for Beginners
Simple Cherry Acrylic still life painting – Part 1 (35 minutes total tutorial time)
This video tutorial is great if you’d like to learn classical glazing techniques when working with acrylics. If there is one lesson that will give you amazing results, this is it. Have a look at some previous students success with this lesson (many were their first paintings ever!)Parts 2 3 & 4 are listed below.
- Simple Cherry Acrylic still life course – Part 2
- Simple Cherry Acrylic still life course – Part 3 & 4
Acrylic Still Life Painting of a Jug using 2 Colours
Warm & cool colours simple Jug painting – Part 1 (40 minutes total tutorial time)
Perfect if you’re still learning about colour and want to understand the principles of warm & cool colour in painting. We use Burnt sienna, Ultramarine blue & Titanium white in this simple tutorial.
Acrylic painting techniques – Apple Still Life – Light & Shade
How to Paint Light & Shade in Acrylics – Part 1 & 2 (27 minutes total tutorial time)
Ever felt frustrated having worked so hard on a painting — only to find it still looks ‘flat’?
This tutorial looks at applying the principles of light and shade to your paintings to improve the illusion of form and realism.
Acrylic Landscape Painting Techniques
Easy Acrylic Landscape painting for an absolute beginner – Part 1 (35 minutes total tutorial time)
Learn how to pre-mix your colours using ‘colour strings’ so your painting time is quicker and your results are more professional.
- Acrylic landscape painting techniques – Lessons for an absolute beginner. Part 2
- Acrylic landscape painting techniques – Lessons for an absolute beginner. Part 3
- Acrylic landscape painting techniques – Lessons for an absolute beginner. Part 4
Monet Style Impressionist Acrylic
Monet style Impressionist Acrylic – Part 1 (40 minutes total tutorial time)
Discover how to paint with a more Impressionistic style using Monet’s palette & techniques.
- Monet style Impressionist Acrylic – Part 2 (video)
- Monet style Impressionist Acrylic – Part 3 (video)
- Monet style Impressionist Acrylic – Part 4 (video)
Acrylic Painting of a Cornish Harbour Scene
Seascape Cornish Harbour Scene with Acrylics (44 minutes total tutorial time)
This painting tutorial is a little bit more complicated in the drawing and composition in the painting. Perfect if you’ve tackled a few seascape paintings but want an extra challenge. The principles are the same, just take it a step at a time and you can achieve a really lovely harbour scene painting.
Acrylic Palette Knife Painting Tutorial
Acrylic Palette Knife Painting Techniques – Part 1 (55 minutes total tutorial time)
This video tutorial teaches you how to combine using a palette knife with your brushes and embrace using thick paint!
- Acrylic Palette Knife Painting Techniques – Part 2
- Acrylic Palette Knife Painting Techniques – Part 3
French Cafe Scene with Acrylics
French Cafe Scene with Acrylics – Part 1 & 2 (50 minutes total tutorial time)
Painting on board rather than canvas to work on your drawing techniques and learning the importance of your paint consistency and underpainting.
For Basic set up & preparation have a look at the tutorials below:
1. Setting up a stay-wet palette
Essential for keeping your acrylic paints wet when you first start.
Acrylics dry really quickly this gives you more open time for painting.
2. How to lay out a palette – a simple method for setting out a palette for successful painting
3. How to apply a coloured ground – key for quick professional looking paintings
Colour mixing basics
1. How to match a paint colour – a 3 step approach to correctly matching a paint colour
2. Understanding colour bias –Why can’t you mix a bright purple? find out how the undertones of paint can affect your mixing
3. How to mix pink – learn how white can effect the brightest and hue of reds
4. How to match acrylic paint colours – learn how to mix acrylic paints for beginners
5. How to choose a brush for acrylics – What is a hog, filbert or bright?
6. How to mix bright purple – Why do some purples go muddy? find out in this video
7. How to mix green acrylic paint – How to mix green with a surprising colour choice
8. Acrylic still life speed painting – How to paint acrylic still life, in under 5 minutes
More videos are available at my Youtube acrylic painting channel and if you sign up for free email updates you’ll get an email when I release a new article or lesson.