Do you want to learn how to draw? Are you finding perspective challenging or your composition is just not looking right?
I’ve compiled a reference list of posts on drawing & composition below, so you can easily find what you are looking for.
- The 3 reasons why you can’t draw, (& what to do about it) – Understanding how mental blocks can be holding your drawing back
- How to draw perspective for beginners – Simple techniques for adding depth in your drawings
- The Rule of Thirds in landscape painting + video – A simple rule to ensure a balanced composition in your drawing
- The secret of good composition – How variety is the key to creating interesting compositions
- Are you unwittingly creating a compositional cardinal sin? – How to avoid a visual jarring in your drawings.
- Are You Making Any of These 7 Compositional Mistakes with Your Still life Paintings? – How to avoid common issues when drawing still lifes
- How to instantly add depth to your mountains in acrylic landscape painting – Learn how Da Vinci used science to create depth
- Landscape Sketching in the Highlands – On location sketching, looking for the shapes, spaces and the differences between lights and darks.
- An Art Material Addicts Guide to becoming a Minimalist Sketcher – My Top #4 pen combination sets that I use out on location…
- Painting, Pasties & Padstow – A Cornish Painting trip
- The Importance of Contrast in Drawing & Painting – How tone & value are one of the most important things to learn when beginning drawing.
- A Beginners Guide to Light & Shadow : Part 1 – Understanding how light logic works for effective three-dimensional drawings
- How to shade a drawing – Light & Shadow : Part 2 – Looking at the theory of drawing a simple form focusing on shadow, light and edges.
- How to paint light & shade in Acrylics : Part 3 & Videos – Creating the illusion of form using an Apple with acrylic paint.
- How to choose Watercolour Paper – Do you know your NOT from your Hot Pressed?
Free Drawing Video Tutorials
Here is a list of a few of my guest posts, (in reversed order, so the most recent post is first).
If you’ve missed one please click through and give it a read!
- A Simple Productivity Tip from Da Vinci (Artist Daily)
- Why Are Brush Sizes as Confusing as a Currency Converter? (Artist Daily)
- Break Through Creative Blocks with this Unconventional Drawing Technique (Lateral Action)
- Is your own good taste holding back your creativity? (Expert Enough)
- 7 Ways Learning to Draw Can Improve Your Productivity (Lateral Action)
- The Monet guide to Colour harmony (Art Instruction Blog)
- The Art of Food Photography (a Painters Approach) (Digital Photography School)
- Absolute Beginners Drawing Class – Over 4 hours of video tuition demonstration. Step-by-step beginners drawing course. Develop your skills and understand the secrets behind drawing.
- Beginners Landscape Sketching Course – Ever felt daunted at the thought of sketching outside? This course takes you through a simple approach for creating quick sketches outdoors for your paintings and capturing the atmosphere of a scene. We step out of the studio and into the landscape working with pens, watercolours and pencils.
- How to Draw Light and Shadow – Over 2 hours of drawing tuition focusing on developing the shading and tone in your drawings. We introduce new materials such as Charcoal, tonal paper and chalk. This course is a great ‘in-between’ introduction to painting if you’ve only worked in pencil as it shows many things to be aware of when creating a successful painting, but using charcoal.
- Urban Sketching for Beginners – Imagine becoming an artist where your inspiration comes from observing your everyday life. Bustling crowds, interesting architecture, and wonky lampposts would become your subjects and a fine-line pen your only drawing tool. Creating a visual diary of the world around you, developing the daily practice of recording the story of your life through sketches, is what’s so exciting about ‘urban sketching’.