Do you want to learn to paint with Oils but it sounds too complicated, mediums, solvents, varnishes etc.. but by understanding some basic principles you can produce some fantastic work!
I’ve complied a reference list of posts on Oils below, so you can easily find what you are looking for.
Getting Started & Materials
- The Trouble with Oil – A few reasons why Oil paint needs to be understood
- What are your paints made from? – Understanding the basic components of Oil Paint
- Glossary for Oil Painting terms – The essential guide for beginners
- How to choose a basic Portrait painting palette for Oils – How do you match skin tones?
- How do you approach lighting a portrait painting? – The differences between natural & artificial light
- The 5 key differences between Acrylics & Oil paints – a beginners guide – Are Acrylics or Oils your natural medium?
- 8 tips to help you make a killer Bespoke Canvas
Oil Painting Techniques
- A beginners guide to colour strings (and how to paint quicker) -How to use Classical techniques to speed up your oil painting.
- The 3 key secrets of portrait painting success – How to approach portraiture with an understanding of the basics
- The Importance of Contrast in Drawing & Painting – How tone & value are one of the most important things to learn when painting
- The 3 Steps to Becoming a Better Painter, by Painting Less – Inspiration for the overwhelmed ‘don’t know where to start painter’
- Self Portrait Painting selected for Ruth Borchard Competition
How to paint a Portrait in Oils – Time-lapse video of the tutorial below
- How to Paint a Portrait in Oil – Part 1 – Step by step black & white self portrait tutorial
- How to Paint a Portrait in Oil – Part 2
- How to Paint a Portrait in Oil – Part 3
- How to Paint a Portrait in Oil – Part 4
- How to Paint a Portrait in Oil – Part 5
- The Essential Guide to Black & White Portraits – 3 1/2 hours of step by step video tuition using classical techniques to create a Grisaille portrait with Oils